Volunteer Your Time, Compassion and Hope
Each year, hundreds of dedicated volunteers freely donate tens of thousands of hours of their time to Holy Spirit Health System. People of different ages, skills and abilities give their time in many departments, from patient registration and pastoral care to the ER. Our patients benefit from every single hour of volunteer time that is given with compassion and dedication.
Volunteering With Us
The mission of the Volunteer Department is to encourage members of our community to join the Sisters of Christian Charity in their mission of providing quality health care in a Christian manner to the people in our community.
We offer volunteering opportunities for both adults and teens. Assignments range from direct patient involvement to behind-the-scenes work. We try to match our needs and your interests. For an up-to-date listing of our greatest needs, please check out our online opportunity directory. To learn more about volunteering with us and to apply, please click the appropriate drop down title below for more information.
Adult applicants may apply at any time during the year. On average, the time from application to actual volunteering is one to two months, but you may experience a delay during the summer months. Please read our requirements below before completing an application.
- Be willing to accept assignments that meet the needs and requirements of the patients, staff and the Volunteer Services Department.
- Submit a properly completed application packet.
- Be able to commit to a regular schedule. Our hope is to have more flexible arrangements in the near future; most current assignments are once or twice a week, same days and times each week.
- Have reliable transportation to and from the hospital.
- Have a neat, clean appearance and be willing to adhere to the volunteer dress code.
- Have a keen interest in helping and interacting with others.
- Possess excellent customer service skills.
Upon acceptance of a volunteer assignment, you must:
- Agree to mandatory completion of volunteer orientation.
- Complete mandatory health screening and two step PPD with our Employee Health Department.
- Agree to a Pennsylvania State criminal background check if you have been a PA resident for two consecutive years and/or complete an FBI fingerprint check if you are newer to the area (applicants 18 years of age and older). Certain volunteer assignments will also require a Child Abuse History Clearance.
Please do not hesitate to contact our offices should you have any questions or need assistance.
Complete the Adult Volunteer Application here
High school students ages 16-18 may be eligible to participate in our Summer Junior Volunteer Program, which is exclusively for teens.
Summer Junior Volunteer Program 2014:
The application process for the Summer 2014 program has closed. Thank you to all of our applicants. For those interested in next year’s program, please check back for information in January 2015.
Please return completed volunteer applications to:
Director of Volunteer Services
Holy Spirit Hospital
Camp Hill, PA 17011 email@example.com
As space permits, we offer job shadowing opportunities to students enrolled in training programs or post-secondary studies.
Job Shadowing Information:
- Individuals must provide proof of post-secondary or formal training program enrollment.
- The observation opportunity will occur for a recommended minimum of two hours. Maximum hours are determined on a case-by-case and unit-by-unit basis.
- All candidates must complete the application packet in advance to be considered for an opportunity.
- Girl Scout troops and high school counselors may contact the office to discuss other tour and lecture opportunities.
Interested in volunteering with our Hospital Auxiliary?
Holy Spirit Hospital Auxiliary is a volunteer organization dedicated to supporting the health system in providing high-quality health services to communities in the greater central Pennsylvania area.
Since 1964, the Hospital Auxiliary has promoted the interests and welfare of Holy Spirit Hospital through fundraising, educational programs and social activities. Thanks to the efforts of countless volunteers, we have contributed more than $4 million for the benefit of patients and the community.
The Auxiliary is a diverse group of more than 200 men and women of all ages. Members are assigned to Auxiliary projects and committees that take advantage of their unique talents. As a member, you will receive invitations to all Auxiliary events, a quarterly newsletter and the opportunity to help us support the health system’s programs and services.
Fundraising Activities and Events
Each year, the Auxiliary holds several annual fundraising events and service-oriented programs that rely on the talents of our volunteers.
Share the Spirit Gala
The Auxiliary’s largest fundraiser is usually held in November at various venues throughout the area. This black tie event includes dinner, dancing and a silent auction. Mark your calendars for this year's Gala, to be held at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 8, at the Radisson Hotel Harrisburg. To reserve tickets, or for more information, call 717-763-2796 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The annual luncheon and fashion show is held in April or May. This event is very well-attended by the Auxiliary membership and community. In 2014, the event will be held Thursday, May 15. For more information, call 717-763-2796 or email email@example.com.
At the Spring Festival, the Auxiliary pre-sells bedding flowers from a local greenhouse and holds a chicken barbeque. This great community event is held at Adams-Ricci Park in Enola on the last Saturday in April. For more information, call 717-763-2796 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Auxiliary buys out the house for the theatre’s February production and sells tickets to Holy Spirit employees and the community.
The Auxiliary oversees the hospital gift shop operations and depends on volunteers to handle cash register sales, inventory, unpacking and pricing.
I’m in Charge of Me
Auxiliary volunteers travel to classrooms in the area to teach second-graders about healthy habits through song.
We Have A Little Emergency (W.H.A.L.E.)
The child car seat safety program needs volunteers to help with mass mailings and delivery of informational packets to daycare facilities, pediatricians’ offices and community events.
How to Get Involved
Membership in the Holy Spirit Hospital Auxiliary is a great way to support high-quality health services in your community. There is a small fee for annual membership, or you can consider lifetime membership:
$20 yearly membership for a single member
$10 yearly membership, seniors
$25 yearly membership, couple
$125 lifetime membership, single
$175 lifetime membership, couple
To read a copy of the Auxiliary's most recent newsletter, click here.