Vision & Philosophy
Quality is meeting or exceeding the clinical expectations of our internal and external customers in addition to compliance with regulatory standards. This is accomplished through a set of activities designed to achieve measurable improvement in processes and outcomes of care. Interventions are targeted to provide safe, efficient, cost effective, patient centered and timely care.
Our Quality Vision
To provide evidence-based, patient-focused and fiscally responsive quality service across the hospital continuum. The quality focus will be embedded in daily practice, sustainable, goal-oriented, data-driven and support the mission of the organization.
Our Quality Philosophy
· Focuses on both internal and external customers.
· Optimizes the performance of the entire health system not just individual departments.
· Aligns processes, technology, people, values and policies to continually improve.
· Uses a systematic and scientific approach to continually improve and control the Health System’s processes.
· Constantly seeks new, innovative ways of meeting customer needs and exceeding expectations.
· Develops a culture of life-long learning.
· Makes decisions based on knowledge, confirmed with facts and data, and is driven by an understanding of variation and statistical thinking.
· Supports mutual respect for the dignity, knowledge and potential contribution of others.
Our Quality Experts
Joseph A. Torchia, MD, is the Chief Medical Officer at Holy Spirit Hospital where one of his main responsibilities is to ensure that patients receive the highest levels of care. He oversees the quality management department and is working with consultants to improve documentation processes to ensure the most appropriate patient information is provided to independent reporting agencies.
Immediately prior to working at Holy Spirit Hospital, Dr. Torchia was a private internal medicine physician who practiced for 14 years at Conner Rich Associates in Camp Hill, PA. He is certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine and is a member of the American College of Physician Executives.
Karen G. Sloan, MSN, RN, is the Director of Quality and Organizational Performance at Holy Spirit Hospital. She works closely with physicians, nurses and other staff to ensure that patients receive the highest quality care.
Sloan has 35 years of healthcare experience, including hospital clinical operations, administration, healthcare quality initiatives, and compliance with regulatory standards. Immediately prior to joining Holy Spirit Hospital, Sloan was the Director of Case Management at Carlisle Regional Medical Center, Carlisle, PA. She also worked as a surveyor for the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), where she was responsible for focusing on compliance to quality of care standards. She was also the Vice President for Patient Care Services at Chambersburg Hospital, Chambersburg, PA.
Sloan is a member of the American Organization of Nurse Executives and the American College of Healthcare Executives.