Highly Ranked Diabetes Care
U.S. News & World Report has honored Holy Spirit Diabetes Services for high performance in 2013-2014.
The Holy Spirit Diabetes Center
Patients with Type 1, Type 2 and gestational diabetes receive personalized inpatient and outpatient education from Holy Spirit Diabetes Services, which has been recognized by the American Diabetes Association as meeting the National Standards for Diabetes Education. Services include:
- Insulin pump education by a certified insulin pump trainer
- Physician-ordered 72-hour continuous glucose monitoring, when needed, to ensure a patient’s regimen is effective
- Medical nutrition therapy
- Group classes
- Support groups
Whether your diabetes is controlled by lifestyle, oral, or injectable medications, you are eligible for care. The provider managing your diabetes will refer you for services. Call 717-783-2466 for more information about Diabetes Services.
Group Diabetes Management Classes
Holy Spirit group classes provide you with valuable information and support so you can successfully manage your diabetes. Learn about:
- The basics of diabetes, blood glucose testing and A1C
- Heart disease, lipids and blood pressure
- The importance of exercise and physical activity
- Meal planning, carbohydrate counting, label reading and tips for eating out
- Weight management and practical ways to eat a well-balanced diet
- Diabetes medications, high/low blood glucose management and sick days
- Care of eyes, skin, feet and mouth
- Goal-setting and achieving effective behaviors
- And much more
Diabetes Support Group
The Diabetes Support Group meets the 2nd Monday of each month from 6-7 p.m. at Wegman's Grocery Store conference room. No registration is required. Persons with diabetes and family members are welcome.
Special Events Sponsorship
To raise awareness of the dangers of diabetes, we sponsor frequent special events, such as the annual Diabetes Taste-In, an event filled with healthy food sampling and information on nutrition and supplies for those with diabetes.
The Holy Spirit Endocrinology Center
The Holy Spirit Endocrinology Center helps patients manage their diabetes or other diseases caused by hormone disturbances. It also manages care for hospitalized patients who have diabetes and coordinates care at discharge, working with the Holy Spirit Diabetes Center and personal physicians. To make an appointment, call 717-972-7120.