Nationally Recognized Inpatient Neurology Care
Geisinger Holy Spirit’s neurology program has been honored by U.S. News & World Report for high performance in 2013-2014.
24/7 Care for Strokes and Other Neurological Disorders
Geisinger Holy Spirit’s dedicated system for neurology consultation is there to serve our patients 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our highly trained, multi-disciplinary care team focuses on the assessment and treatment of disorders of the nervous system, including:
- Transient ischemic attacks (stroke warning signs)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Sleep disorders
By far the most common neurological disorders treated at Geisinger Holy Spirit are those related to “brain attacks,” such as strokes and stroke warning signs. We have recently earned a distinction as a Certified Primary Stroke Center to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of our response to these common neurological emergencies.
Fast, Effective Admission Process
If you have a neurological condition that leads to hospitalization, you will be evaluated by a neurologist when you arrive. All patients are seen by the on-call neurologist within 24 hours. The admitting physician will typically be a specialist in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine, and the consulting neurologist will report findings and a treatment plan back to that physician in order to coordinate care. Whenever possible, patients with problems that are primarily of a neurological nature will be admitted to a special nursing unit at which the staff has been specially trained in the monitoring and management of neurological diseases.
Advantages of Inpatient Care at a Certified Stroke Center
Geisinger Holy Spirit has successfully completed a rigorous process of evaluation by the Joint Commission for Hospital Accreditation and earned the certification for Certified Stroke Center.
This means that our inpatient neurology care is at a higher level than at a Center that has not received this distinction. We have put special protocols into place to maximize the effectiveness of acute management of stroke and related disorders.
- We offer rapid response Stroke Alert for patients presenting signs and symptoms of stroke.
- Nurses and general physician staff are trained at a higher level in the detection, acute treatment and prevention of stroke.
- Special equipment and resources have been dedicated to stroke care.
- We offer a multidisciplinary team approach to stroke care that is continuously updated and monitored for quality. This team approach addresses not only management at the time of stroke (or suspected stroke), but also education and planning for stroke prevention and the short- and long-term rehabilitation needs of persons disabled by stroke.
Geisinger Holy Spirit’s on-site Electroneurodiagnostic Lab has specially trained technologists who record and study electrical activity in the brain and nervous system. Physicians interpret the results. Studies include EEG and sleep studies.
For more information about Neurological Testing, call 717-763-2476.