Our Medical Outreach Service is dedicated to extending the healing mission of Jesus Christ by seeking to identify and assist those who are falling through the cracks of the healthcare system. Once found, we direct them toward existing resources. When necessary, we create new resources.
Our nurse-run clinic in the Allison Hill section of Harrisburg is open Monday through Friday, 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. No appointments are necessary and all services are free. Located in the basement rear of Christ Lutheran Church, 124 South 13th Street, our waiting area doubles as an intentional drop-in hospitality center for the poor and homeless.
• nursing assessments and first aid
• limited lab tests, flu shots and screenings (tests for pregnancy, blood sugar, strep, etc.)
• health education
• limited assistance with prescriptions, eyeglasses and durable medical goods
• referrals to other appropriate services
• material goods such as hygiene items, blankets, underwear, gloves, etc.
• a hospitality center where all are welcome to rest, enjoy beverages, use the phones, fax, bathroom, etc.
• access to other Christ Lutheran Health Ministries, with services including food vouchers, baby furniture, classes in English (with childcare), GED prep and literacy
• nurses who speak English, Spanish, medical French, Arabic and Hausa
Last year alone, we conducted more than 15,000 patient visits and administered well over 700 free flu vaccines to low income, uninsured people. In addition, we reached more than 16,000 individuals through free community health screenings devoted to concerns such as blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol and stroke risk.
No eligibility screenings are done by phone: Please drop by. For more information, call 717-763-2507.